Latent Cause Analysis Products
Latent Cause Analysis as revealed by "The Latent Cause Experience"
The "Latent Cause Experience" was an embodiment of Latent Cause Analysis. It was a on-site, 4-day "seminar" taught in the USA, Canada, Venezuela, Spain, England, Scotland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Malaysia, Australia, and Indonesia.
It was an evolved accumulation of learnings and experiences of C. Robert (Bob) Nelms, who started in the "Root Cause Analysis" business by forming Failsafe Network, Inc.. in 1985. It was a journey that took people through the genesis of things that go wrong -- ending with ourselves.
Nearly 10,000 people have gone through this experience from 1985 until 2018, with ratings averaging 4.8 (scale of 5.0). Virtually everyone who has gone through this experience has said that "nothing compares to it." It was classified as Root Cause Analysis training, but it was so much more.
It's messages included the need for a shift:
- From everyone looking outward, to everyone looking inward.
- From "It's your fault," to "It's partially my fault!"
- From upper levels blaming lower levels, to upper levels seeing themselves as part of the problem.
- From lower levels blaming upper levels, to lower levels seeing themselves as part of the problem.
- From "small problems are not important," to "unresolved small problems will cause larger problems."
- From highly trained, elitist leaders, to everyone does it.
- From sophisticated, often computer-based investigative methods, to simple, yet probing investigative methods.
- From an occasionally used tool to, a new attitude towards things that to wrong.
- From a focus on equipment and system-type causes, to a determined effort to help people see themselves as causes.
- From "RCA teams define causes and recommended actions, to "the people that were involved define causes and agree on their own actions?
Although the LIVE training is no longer available, several products exist to help The Latent Cause Experience exist into the future.